Maximize This Time of Solitude
Now is as good of a time as any to learn to love your own company. Though most of us would never choose this route, this is where the road has brought us, so we might as well make the most of it. A few tips for maximizing this season of solitude:
1) Maintain some level of routine, as best you can. Our bodies & spirits crave structure, especially during hyper-stressful and anxious times.
2) Use this time to focus on those projects or dreams you’ve been putting off for lack of “time.” Write that book. Retool your resume. Start meditating (the @calm app is a great tool for this.) Do a massive cleaning and purging of your home and your surroundings. It’s spring cleaning season anyway! It’s a great time to blow off the dust & clear the clutter, and to chase those dreams you’ve been putting on the back-burner.
3) Read & watch & listen to positive, soul-nourishing, inspirational, humorous, life-giving content. Steer clear of anything too dark or heavy. The real world has enough dark & heavy right now.
4) Take walks. Being in nature is the best way to refuel your spirit and also easily maintain social distancing.
5) Maintain social connections through FaceTime and Skype and regular phone calls. Or go old school and write letters! Your friends and family are just a click of a button away, and modern technology has made it possible for us to cultivate community and be social even in the midst of social distancing.
Let’s try & look at this season as a time for renewal in which we might feel lonely and isolated but also productive and introspective. On the other side of solitude, we can appreciate some much needed renewal time and relieved to get back life as we knew it.